Tuesday, December 29, 2015

The Force Awakens - I Have Questions

I’ve seen The Force Awakens a few times now, but I still have a few questions without answers.  Four of them are curiosities from the story:

  • How did the wrecked ships wind up on Jakku?
  • Who was the person on the surface of Jakku when Finn shot down the Tie Fighter?
  • What is the backstory of the 1,000+ year old Maz Kanata?
  • Where did Supreme Leader Snoke come from?

The Star Wars Universe is vast between all of the books, video games, and TV shows, and some of these may have answers already.  However, the answers aren’t in the movies - at least that I can tell.  I expect that we will learn more about Snoke (and perhaps Maz) in the upcoming films.


However, my biggest questions have to do with the trailers that came out before the movie.  The trailer below has dialog from Luke that wasn’t in the movie.  Is it in Episode VIII?


The dialog in the next trailer has Maz asking Rey, “Who are you?”  My theory on this is that it is from a scene that will be in the director’s cut, but it is also not in the theatrical version.


Finally, this trailer has another line from Maz, “Hope is not lost today.”  This one also seems like material for the director’s cut.



I’ve seen this with other movies, and I guess it’s not that unusual in the case of the last two.  However, the first one is more of a head scratcher.  I sat through the movie the first time waiting for Luke to come and say the lines from the trailer along with others.  It was puzzling when he only appeared at the very end with no lines at all.  What about you?  Do you have other questions?  What's your take on the difference between the movie and the trailers?


No comments:

Post a Comment